I’m not sure what else I can do to make these banana muffins better…
Chocolate. Maple. Streusel!!
But I do respect the need for balance. So I kept it reasonable with whole wheat flour. And bananas. And walnuts, which are actually a superfood of some kind I think. See? Balance. I got you.
Whole wheat pastry flour is a game changer. Such a great way to boost the nutrition in your baking without sacrificing anything. I almost always have it on hand and I often use it in place of all or some of the all purpose flour in just about any type of baking, especially muffins.
If you’ve been looking for your new favourite banana muffin, and even if you haven’t, make these and your weekend will be so much better. Promise.
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Wet Ingredients:
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks (or chips)
- For the streusel:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple flakes
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup butter, frozen
- In a bowl mix together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl mix together the bananas, butter, sugar, egg, yogurt and vanilla.
- Mix wet and dry until just combined.
- Fold in the walnuts and chocolate.
- Scoop into muffin tins.
- To make the streusel mix together the flour, brown sugar, maple flakes and salt. Grate in the butter. Mix
- Top the muffins with the streusel.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes at 425 then drop the heat to 350 and bake another 15 minutes.
Let me know what you think!