It is not all croquettes and Szechuan peppercorns around here friends. This super easy dinner dish is covered in tater tots… And no, I did not make my own tater tots… hello? How long would that take? It also has ketchup in it. Ketchup!! And I’m actually convinced that’s what makes it so good.
Also, we LOVE this. Pretty much devour the whole skillet love it. What more do you need to know? So good.
*this is a vegetarian dish, but you can easily add ground beef/chicken… just cook it in the skillet before adding the onions.*
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- One onion, diced
- One red pepper, diced
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced (seeded, if you want it less spicy)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Pinch oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp corn flour
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp diced pickled jalapeños
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 40-50 tater tots (the cheesy ones, if you can find them)
- Pour the olive oil into a 10″ cast iron skillet over medium heat and add in the onion, red pepper, garlic and jalapeño. Sauté until softened.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, corn flour, ketchup and pickled jalapeños. Mix well.
- Mix well and add in the diced tomatoes, black beans and corn kernels. Stir.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup grated cheddar.
- Cover evenly with tater tots (the cheesy ones, if you can find them).
- Sprinkle with another cup grated cheddar.
- Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes.
Let me know what you think!