These Enchiladas with Green Sauce are made with a super EASY homemade green sauce that requires nothing more than some pantry ingredients you probably already have on hand.
That’s right friends, a green enchilada recipe with no tomatillos required. That may not sound like a big deal to you where you are, but I live in Canada and finding fresh tomatillos here is like… I don’t know what it’s like, but it’s hard, ok? It’s hard.
This sauce uses canned green chiles which are one of my all time favourite pantry items. I throw them in everything because they add such an easy flavour boost to so many things. You can bet that if I’m making tex-mix or Mexican anything there’s a can or two of green chiles in it.
You can use leftover cooked chicken or even turkey to make these enchiladas. If I don’t have leftovers on hand I just poach chicken breasts and shred them up. You can also make the sauce ahead of time so all you have to do at dinner time is assemble and bake. Easy peasy. And so good.
Anything Special You Need to Know?
*I found a super fun article if you want to geek out on canned green chiles. Read it here.
*I like to use large flour tortillas for my enchiladas because they’re soft and easy to work with. Corn tortillas taste amazing, but need to be softened first or they’ll break. Read this.
*I like to serve these with extra jalapeños (both fresh and pickled are good), diced white onion, chopped cilantro, queso fresco (or feta) and sour cream.
Enchiladas with Green Sauce
- For the sauce:
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped*
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 4 oz cans mild green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
For the enchiladas:
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 4 cups cooked chicken shredded**
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup green sauce
- 3 cups shredded cheese divided***
- To make the sauce heat the oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add in the onion and jalapeño. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the flour.
- Stir in the cumin and oregano. Cook, stirring often, 2 more minutes.
- Add in the green chiles, the broth and 1/2 tsp salt. Simmer for about 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat. Puree if desired (I usually partially puree it but leave some texture).
- To make the enchiladas combine together the chicken, garlic, cumin, sour cream, green sauce and 1 cup cheese. Mix well.
- Lay the tortillas out and spread about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture down the center of each.
- Roll the tortillas up, leaving the ends open.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the green sauce in the bottom of a 9”x13” baking pan. Lay the tortillas side by side in the pan.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
**I poached 2 large chicken breasts to get this amount.
***any mild cheese works here. I like mozzarella or pepper jack.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this Enchiladas with Green Sauce Recipe then you’ll probably love my Lasagna with No Boil Noodles Recipe. Another delicious comfort food meal that’s super easy to make.