I’d love to say that I made these for the kids. But I didn’t.
We’ve all seen those Granola Yogurt Bars in the supermarket haven’t we? I’ve bought them for school snacks for my kids but to be completely honest, I’ve never tasted one. Always liked the idea though… so here we are.
Super duper easy, no bake, extra chewy granola bars scented with vanilla, studded with sweet-tart dried cherries & buttery toasted almonds and topped with a rich and tangy yogurt glaze.
I’m actually not sure if “glaze” is the right term the way I apply it and that way is thickly and excessively. I’m a frosting girl. I am not ashamed.
If you want a thin glaze that transforms into more of a hard yogurt coating just use a bit more restraint than I do in your application. I won’t fault you for it. Just send the extra frosting my way please.
Scroll past the recipe if you’re looking for tips, substitutions, questions, etc. and details on how to make this recipe, but if you want to get straight to it, here’s my recipe-ish…
Granola Yogurt Bars with Cherries and Almonds
For the yogurt topping:
- 1/2 cup thick greek yogurt at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla
For the granola bars:
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats
- 1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1/2 cup dried cherries**
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds toasted**
Make the bars:
- În a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine the butter, brown rice syrup, brown sugar and salt. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Allow to boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Add in the oats, Rice Krispies, cherries and almonds. Mix well.
- Press firmly into and 8×8 pan and let cool.
Make the yogurt topping:
- In a bowl whisk together the yogurt, powdered sugar, coconut oil and vanilla until smooth.
Finish the bars:
- Cut the cooled granola mixture into bars, dip in the yogurt (or spread on top), refrigerate to set.***
***a thinner layer will become more firm. I prefer a thicker layer though because it’s yummy.
I know you’re going to read that I use brown rice syrup in this recipe and think what the heck Joni? Who has brown rice syrup in their pantry? Well I do, but that’s not the point. The point is that if you see brown rice syrup you should buy some. It keeps literally forever and it really is the best ingredient to use for flavour and chew in your homemade granola bars.
If you don’t see it anywhere just use honey or golden syrup.
granola yogurt bars Recipe ingredients, tips, substitutions:
Oats – I like quick oats in no-bake granola bars. Rolled oats work too they just require a little more chewing.
Brown Rice Syrup – I know this isn’t a pantry staple for everyone, but I just love the texture and the taste of it. Honey or golden syrup work just fine in a pinch.
Greek yogurt – use good, thick Greek yogurt. I like a higher fat kind.
Rice Krispies – no subs. That is all.
Coconut Oil – virgin coconut oil will give a bit of a coconut flavour to the topping. If you aren’t into that, use refined coconut oil.
Add-ins – aside from the variations below, you can get away with pretty much any add-ins you like. Different nuts, different fruits, add in some seeds or even a swirl of peanut butter or almond butter.
Granola Yogurt Bars Recipe Variations:
- Chocolate Chip Version – replace the cherries with chcolate chips. I like to leave the almonds in.
- Blueberry Version – replace the dried cherries with dried blueberries.
- Birthday Cake Version – add in 1/2 tsp almond extract with the vanilla. Replace the cherries with white chocolate chips and add some sprinkles to the topping before you chill it.
granola yogurt bars recipe, how to make it…
The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for the things to cool. And then to set. And to be honest sometimes I’d rather make a recipe that takes hours of hands-on work to make than one that makes me wait, but we just do not have a choice here if we want results.
We’re going to heat up some butter, brown sugar and brown rice syrup and bring it to a boil. Once it bubbles away for about a minute we’ll remove it from the heat and stir in a little vanilla and salt.
Then we’ll add in some oats, Rice Krispies, dried cherries and toasted almonds. Use those muscles and mix it all very well and press it firmly into a pan. Let it cool. Sometimes I throw it into the freezer for a while because I have zero patience.
To make the yogurt topping we’ll whisk together some thick Greek yogurt, powdered sugar, vanilla and melted coconut oil. Whisk it until it’s smooth.
Once the bars are cooled we’ll cut them up and either dip them in the topping or spread it on top. Now – again – we’ll allow the topping to firm up and set. A quick trip to the freezer can be your friend here too and fyi – frozen Granola Yogurt Bars aren’t too shabby.
looking for more super yummy snack recipes? try these…
- Air Fried Apples
- Dairy Free Vanilla Ice Cream
- Rice Krispie Treats with Marshmallow Fluff
- Everything Bagel Cashews
Let me know what you think below!