This Vegetarian Stroganoff is a recipe I came up with when I was really craving one my very favourite dishes but I wanted my whole family to enjoy it, including my vegetarian daughter, and I reeeeeeally didn’t want to make two separate dishes. Mission accomplished.
Halloumi Stroganoff. Oh my goodness. I don’t know what to say except… make this. Make this for dinner tonight.
If you’re already a beef stroganoff fan I promise you will not be disappointed. All the flavours you’re expecting are here. It’s creamy and rich and loaded with hearty mushrooms, sharp dijon and tangy sour cream. And then! And then… the salty squeakiness of Halloumi cheese will blow your mind. It is so satisfying.
Anything Special You Need to Know?
*I used cremini mushrooms for this dish, but you really can use whatever mushrooms you have. Basic white button mushrooms are equally delicious.
*I serve this over egg noodles, and I really do think they’re best, but if you can’t get your hands on them this would be good on regular pasta, or mashed potatoes, or rice, or just a spoon…
*I normally use Worcestershire sauce in my Stroganoff, but did’t have a vegetarian one on hand, so I left it out, added soy sauce and boosted up the dijon. I promise you’ll be very happy.
Never tried a Halloumi Recipe before?
Don’t be scared. Pretty much all you really need to know is if you like cheese, you’ll love Halloumi. I don’t know about you, but I’ve never met a cheese I didn’t like. But… if you really need convincing and you want to take a deep dive into Halloumi to learn more about it… Read this.
- 1 – 8 oz block halloumi cubed
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms halved or quartered
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in the halloumi. Cook until browned and remove to a plate.
- Add in another 2 Tbsp oil and add in the mushrooms. Cook until browned and remove to a plate.
- If the pan is dry add in another drizzle of oil and then add in the onion. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the mushrooms back to the skillet.
- Add in the flour, stir well and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, dijon and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened.
- Stir in the sour cream. Season with S&P.
- Add the halloumi to the sauce. Stir.
- Serve with egg noodles.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this Recipe for Vegetarian Stroganoff with Halloumi then please check out my Garlic Butter Soy Mushroom Soba Noodles for more mushroomy deliciousness.