with capers, garlic, red pepper flakes, parmesan cheese…
This Little White Bean and Celery Salad is one of those “do not pass go, just make it” dishes that I know you will love. You know I love me some contrast in my food and this has definitely got it. Soft, creamy, warm white beans absolutely shine when paired with crispy, crunchy, cool celery. It is shovel worthy.
Self-Indulgent foodie Chatter…
This recipe idea is one of those that has been on my mind for at least forever and one of the delays in making it was the difficulty of finding a decent supply of actually good celery in my fridge. Every time I thought it was finally the day to give it a try I was met with celery that was covered in marks that look like it was involved in some kind of unruly brawl (possibly got into it with some aggressive broccoli in the crisper drawer?) or celery that bends. Bendable celery is not good celery.
It seems the me that plans the meals and the me that does the shopping are very rarely on the same page. But on this day, this day was a good celery day.
little white bean and celery salad, the details…
This is kind of a transitional season salad and so we’re going to warm up the beans a little. You’ll heat some olive oil in a large skillet and add in some shallots. Then you’ll toss in garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon zest and capers. Once that’s all happy you’ll stir in some creamy dijon, some butter (yep), and some white wine vinegar. The heat gets turned off and in go the beans. We’re not trying to really cook them here, just get them nicely warmed.
Leave all that to sit while you slice up your celery. I use a mandolin slicer for this and always with a cut-proof protective glove (ever since I nearly removed my entire thumb on one of those things). Pile your celery onto your serving dish, top with the beans, shower the whole thing with finely grated parmesan cheese, parsley and lemon juice. I don’t know why you wouldn’t finish it all, but in the event there are leftovers, it keeps very well in the fridge and is easily just as delicious the next day.
Ingredients, Substitutions, Tips, etc.
White Beans – I like little white navy beans here, but feel free to try out another bean if you like.
Cheese – Parmesan feels like the perfect cheese for this salad, but feel free to experiment. Asiago maybe? Feta? Goat?
Red Pepper Flakes – These guys seem to vary in their level of hotness and everytime I buy a new batch I have to test them out. I think this salad benefits from a little heat, so no need to be shy. If you want it mild just omit them completely.
Looking for more interesting salad recipes? Try these…
- Broccoli Crunch Salad with Candied Bacon & Cashews
- Orzo Pesto Salad with Quick Popped Tomatoes & Pepperoncini
- Burnt Cabbage with Pecorino & Honey Walnut Vinaigrette
Let me know what you think!
Little White Bean & Celery Salad
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp shallots or red onion finely diced
- 2 galic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp capers drained
- Big pinch red pepper flakes
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp dijon or grainy mustard
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 can navy beans rinsed and drained
- 3 cups celery thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- Lemon juice
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the shallots and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, capers, red pepper flakes and lemon zest. Cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, dijon and vinegar.
- Remove from heat, add in the beans and season with S&P. Mix well.
- Add the celery to a bowl. Top with the beans, cheese, season with S&P. Stir.
- Top with a big squeeze of lemon juice and chopped parsley.
If you like this Recipe for my Little White Bean & Celery Salad, please go try my Recipe for Creamy Vegetarian Gnocchi Soup with White Beans & Rosemary. One of my other favourite white bean dishes.