This Vegetarian Zuppa Toscana recipe is the soup of my dreams. Stick with me if you want to make it the soup of your dreams too…
Hearty, rich and filling, this soup is a whole meal all by itself, but if you want to, I will not stop you from making some warm crunchy garlic bread for dunking. If you want to do that you would not be wrong. I fully support you and if you want, I’ll even come over to eat it with you. You just have to ask.
I made this one night when I was feeling a little tired of pasta. I can’t believe those words actually just come out of my mouth. Possibly it was because I had eaten my braised beef ragu twice a day for four days in a row (it’s THAT good friends, recipe soon…). But, tired of pasta does not mean tired of carbs. Or cream. Or cheese. I’m still me! I’m just going to add in a little kale… you know, for balance.
Anything Special You Need to Know?
*If you want to make a vegan Zuppa Toscana you can replace the heavy cream with coconut cream.
*I love the texture of cannellini beans in this soup, but you can sub in any other bean. Navy beans are good, kidney beans work and even chickpeas would work well.
*I use canned beans in this recipe, but if you want to cook up some dried beans go for it. I love this little piece on cooking beans.
*Peeling the potatoes is optional. I usually don’t because I like the added texture, but feel free to peel them if you prefer.
Vegetarian Zuppa Toscana
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups potatoes diced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups kale chopped
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup parmesan finely grated
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy soup pot over medium heat and add in the onion. Cook until softened.
- Add in the garlic. Cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Stir in the thyme, oregano, rosemary and red pepper flakes.
- Pour in the broth.
- Add the potatoes and the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add in the kale and the beans and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the cream and the cheese. Season to taste.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this Vegetarian Zuppa Toscana Recipe then you’ll probably love my Vegetarian Wild Rice Soup. It’s also perfect, cozy, cold weather vegetarian food that fills you up.