20 minutes to make… Dangerously easy. Insanely delicious.
The best Apple Crescent Rolls. Tender, brown crescent rolls stuffed with tart apples, brown sugar, warm spices and melty, buttery caramels. An incredibly easy fall dessert, snack, or if you’re me… breakfast.
I came up with this recipe for two reasons…
First, I have an apple tree in my back yard that currently has at least 1482 ripe apples on it in need of some kind of purpose before they inevitably concuss one of us as they fall at random from a height of 20+ feet above the ground.
Second, and most importantly, I was too impatient to wait for traditional cinnamon rolls to rise on a Saturday morning and had a very strong, very impossible to resist craving for soft, tender dough stuffed with buttery, gooey, cinnamoneyness. What I also had was refrigerated crescent roll dough just sitting around in my fridge looking for something to do.
apple crescent rolls with caramel, how to make them…
Step 1: Divide your crescent roll dough according to the pre-marked perforations and lay them out on a flat surface. I like to lay them out on parchment paper so they come off easily.
Step 2: Toss the sliced apples with melted butter. Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Unwrap the caramels and slice them in half.
Step 3: Evenly sprinkle the brown sugar on each dough triangle. Add an apple slice (2 if your apples are small – see picture above) and a piece of caramel to each triangle. Roll up the triangles from the wide end. Brush each with the remaining melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
Step 4: Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before eating because melted caramel is lava. 🙂
Apple Crescent Rolls Recipe ingredients, tips, substitutions:
Crescent Rolls – these ones. you know them. you love them. who doesn’t?
Apples – something tart, like granny smith, is best. I use whatever the apples are that grow on the tree in my back yard.
Brown Sugar – I like the dark brown sugar, but light works too.
Spices – powdered cinnamon, nutmeg & ginger. Apple pie spice works too.
Apple Crescent Roll Recipe Variations:
- Try pears and dark chocolate instead of apples and caramel.
- Mix up the spices. Throw in some allspice and/or cardamom.
- Make it a salted caramel apple roll by adding a light sprinkle of flaky salt on top with the sugar.
looking for more apple recipes? try these…
- Fennel Apple Salad – my Fall answer to chopped salad
- Chicken Spinach Wrap with Curry & Apple – my favourite chicken salad
- Instant Pot Apple Cider – With Cinnamon and Ginger – warm Autumn in a cup
- Spiced Applesauce Cinnamon Muffins
- Apple Blondies with Walnuts and Cinnamon Brown Butter Glaze
- Apple Almond Cake
Apple Crescent Rolls (with Caramel)
- 2 cans crescent rolls*
- 2 tart apples**
- 1/4 cup butter melted, divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- Pinch nutmeg
- 8 soft caramel candies halved***
- Coarse sugar for topping.
- Cut the apples into 1/2” slices. If your apples are really small you can use 2 slices per roll.
- Toss the slices with 2 Tbsp of the butter.
- Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Separate the dough into triangles.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture evenly over each triangle.
- Place an apple slice and a piece of caramel on the wide end of each triangle and roll up.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet, brush with remaining butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes
Let me know what you think below and if you like this Apple Crescent Rolls Recipe I think you should try these Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Blondies. They’re one of my other favourite Fall desserts.