Because it’s Halloween!!
These Black Cookies made with Black Cocoa, Butterscotch & Espresso are more for me than for the kids if I’m honest, but Halloween is for grown ups too! Also, the kids love them anyway which is ok because i do sneak eat a lot of their Halloween candy. 😉
These spooky (or funny) little Halloween treats are fudgy, chocolatey, chewy and they are naturally colored black cookies. No artificial coloring is used and they are super, super dark. They’re also easy to make with no chill time (and you may already know how I feel about chill time). All you have to do is cream some soft butter and sugar, add in egg and vanilla and mix in the dry ingredients and add-ins.
Candy eyes are optional, but highly recommended for Halloween.
Anything special you need to know?
Creaming the butter and sugars very well is the key to not chilling cookie dough as far as I’m concerned. Let that mixer go on medium speed for several minutes until the mixture is super fluffy.
Maybe food scientists would argue with my theory, but that’s what I believe. So there.
What Ingredients do you need to make these Black Cookies?
- Flour – All purpose flour
- Black Cocoa Powder – not dark, black. Like this. I can always find it at my local bulk food store.
- Baking Soda
- Espresso – instant espresso powder (can be omitted)
- Sea Salt
- Butter – softened
- Brown Sugar – I like dark brown sugar
- Sugar – the regular stuff
- Butterscotch Chips – the best thing ever
- Mini M&Ms or Reese’s Pieces – only the orange ones. I’ll leave it to you to explain to your family where they all went.
Anything Special You Need to Know?
No! Black cocoa powder is super dark and these cookies do look black.
I find it just tastes like dark chocolate. It’s smooth and not at all bitter and can be used just like regular cocoa powder.
I was super tempted to make these little mummies with white icing stripes and eyes. Maybe next year…
Let me know what you think!
Black Cookies with Black Cocoa, Butterscotch & Espresso
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup black cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup mini M&Ms or Reese’s Pieces orange only, plus more for the top
- Candy eyes optional
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, espresso powder and salt. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix very well.
- Add in the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in the butterscotch chips and 1/2 cup of the candies.
- Drop by scoops onto a greased or lined baking sheet.
- Decorate with more candies (see photo).
- Bake at 375 for 9-10 minutes.
- Add candy eyes, if desired.
If you like this Recipe for Black Cocoa Cookies please go try my Recipe for Black Cocoa Cake. My favourite Halloween treat!