Who else’s Mom used to make Impossible pie?
This Brown Butter & Bourbon Impossible Pie is not your Mama’s recipe. It’s not my Mama’s either. Impossible pie is an old-school recipe and I bet you’re wondering just what it is that makes it impossible? Allow me to explain… Impossible Pie is whipped up in the blender in minutes and while it bakes it creates its own crust on the bottom and on the top and the middle becomes a rich, sweet, creamy custard. It’s impossibly delicious. 😉
I do love the version of Impossible Pie that I ate growing up, and there’s nothing wrong with the original, but being the person I am I thought why not amp it up a bit? Why not make the easiest dessert in the world a little bit fancier and even worthy of serving to guests? Why not I say?
So I did. I took the original and I browned the butter. Game changer. And because I thought I could push it just a little more I added in some bourbon and holy moleys it is delish!! Serve it up with a dollop of whipped cream and… well I’ll let you decide if you want to share it or not.
Brown Butter & Bourbon Impossible Pie recipe, how to make it…
Get ready… here we go…
Put all the ingredients – milk, bourbon, coconut, eggs, vanilla, flour, sugar, browned butter and nutmeg – in a blender.
That. Is. It.
If you’re feeling guilty about how little effort it took to make something so yummy then feel free to whip the cream by hand to feel like you put in at least a little effort.
Brown Butter & Bourbon Impossible Pie Recipe ingredients, tips, substitutions:
Milk – I use whole milk, but if you want to omit the dairy you can use full-fat coconut milk.
Sugar – you can use brown sugar instead of the white for a more butterscotch flavour.
Impossible Pie Recipe Variations:
- Lemon Impossible Pie – instead of the bourbon use lemon juice and add the zest of a lemon. Don’t brown the butter.
- Orange Impossible Pie – use fresh orange juice instead of the bourbon and add the zest of an orange. Don’t brown the butter.
- Chocolate Impossible Pie – add 2 Tbsp cocoa powder and 1/3 cup chocolate chips (melted) to the blender with the other ingredients. Use all milk instead of removing 2 Tbsp for the bourbon.
- Blueberry Impossible Pie – Use all milk instead of using the bourbon. Put 1 1/2 cups blueberries into the pie plate before pouring in the batter.
looking for more super easy recipes that impress? try these…
- Friday Night Capellini with Buttery Tomatoes
- Chili Oil Ramen Noodles
- Gochujang Pasta with Vodka & Cream
- Homemade Honey Hot Sauce
Brown Butter & Bourbon Impossible Pie
- 2 cups milk less 2 Tbsp*
- 2 Tbsp bourbon
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter browned and cooled**
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered, 9” deep, pie plate.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool to warm before serving, preferably with whipped cream.
Let me know what you think below and if you like this Brown Butter & Bourbon Impossible Pie Recipe then I know you’ll love my Lime Surprise Triple Coconut Cake. Another good one for the coconut lovers. You also might like this article on super fun retro recipes that I found.