This Brussels Sprout Salad with Cranberries (sugared cranberries!!), Toasted Almonds and Parmesan is a game-changer.
THIS is the salad you want to make for whatever holiday shindig you’re attending over the next couple of months. Or for a Tuesday in July. Or for right now. I’m telling you, once you try it you’re going to want it on the daily.
Let’s talk about the cranberries for a minute. OMG these cranberries. My sister-in-law has actually dubbed these “crack cranberries” and she’s not wrong.
They are sweet, tart and pretty impossible to stop eating once you start. They are also absolutely perfect on top of a big pile of shaved Brussels sprouts.
I cannot say enough good things about Brussels sprouts. that have been very thinly sliced and piled high in a salad. When you shave them this way they become a completely different vegetable. The texture is just fantastic and the dressing gets into every little space and coats every sliver of sprout. They are a great way to convert any sprout doubters in your life (it worked for my mother-in-law!). They’re really, really good.
Anything Special You Need to Know?
*I find it easiest to shave the Brussels sprouts using a mandoline. I always wear a cut-resistant glove when I use that thing because I like my fingers thank you very much. They’re pretty easy to find these days… mine is similar to this one.
*This recipe makes way more cranberries than you need for the salad. Not to worry. You’ll eat the rest. Whether you want to or not, you’ll eat them.
Brussels Sprout Salad with Cranberries and Toasted Almonds
- 1 1/2 cups sugar divided
- 1 bag fresh cranberries
- 6 cups very thinly sliced brussels sprouts*
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups Sugared Cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- **To make the cranberries:
- Heat 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 bag fresh cranberries and toss to coat.
- Spread cranberries on a cooling rack and leave to dry out for about an hour.
- Pour 1 cup sugar into a large bowl and add in the cranberries. Toss to coat and then remove to a plate and spread in an even layer.
- To make the dressing whisk together the lemon zest & juice, mustard, honey, olive oil and good pinches of salt and pepper.
- Toss the dressing with the shaved sprouts and the parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Top with the toasted almonds and 1 1/2 cups of the sugared cranberries.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this Shaved Brussels sprout Salad with Cranberries and Almonds Recipe I’d love for you to look at my Cauliflower Crunch Spicy Dill Pickle Salad Recipe… it’s one of my faves.