Super chewy, warmly spiced, easy to make cookies.
Simple and delicious Chocolate Chip Molasses Cookies. Chewy, buttery, spiced cookies loaded with rich, sweet, melty chocolate chips. I am 100% team spices and chocolate together and I know many people are on the other team. My daughter is captain of that team. Does that stop me from making these cookies? No. It makes me want to make them more in an effort to convince her and everyone else to join my team. That’s just how I operate.
Like so many of my other cookie recipes, this one is also does not require any chilling time because chilling requires a level of patience I do not have when I need warm cookies. This is the same part of me that will risk an avalanche moving things around in my freezer just so I can shove a cake in there to cool faster so I can frost it. And eat it. Don’t you want to be on my team??
Scroll past the recipe if you’re looking for tips, substitutions, questions, etc. and details on how to make this recipe, but if you want to get straight to it, here’s my recipe-ish…
Chocolate Chip Molasses Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter soft
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Sugar for rolling
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, salt and chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Mix butter and sugar on medium speed in a stand mixer for several minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses and mix again until well incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Roll dough into balls (I use a medium scoop – about 2 1/2 Tbsp size).
- Roll dough balls in a small bowl of sugar so they are coated.
- Place sugared dough balls on baking sheet about 2″ apart.
- Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes.
Chocolate Chip Molasses Cookies Recipe ingredients, tips, substitutions:
Molasses – regular molasses, not blackstrap, which has a much stronger flavour.
Brown Sugar – either light or dark is fine.
Spices – I use cinnamon, ginger, cloves and allspice, but feel free to omit any, or all, of the spices. Or add in a little cardamom, nutmeg or black pepper.
Chocolate Chip Molasses Cookies Recipe Variations:
- White Chocolate Version – swap out the chocolate chips for white chocolate chips.
- Chocolate Dipped Version – instead of adding the chocolate to the dough, wait until the cookies cool after baking, melt the chocolate and dip one half of the cookies into the chocolate. Allow to cool again.
- Drizzle Version – omit the chocolate and when the cookies are baked and cooled, melt the chocolate and drizzle over the cookies.
Chocolate Chip Molasses Cookies recipe, how to make it…
Creaming the butter and sugar is the most important step in making these cookies. Cream for several minutes, on medium speed, until light and fluffy. Don’t rush this step.
Next we’ll add in the molasses and egg and mix well again.
Combine the flour baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, salt and chocolate chips in a separate bowl. Alternatively, you can fold the chocolate chips in at the end, but why?
Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
Now we’ll roll the dough into balls. I use a medium sized cookie scoop (found here) that holds about 2 1/2 Tbsp dough, and scoop all the dough onto a baking sheet. Then I roll each dough scoop into a ball with my hands and roll each ball in sugar.
Place the sugared dough balls back onto a baking sheet, leaving about 2″ between each one. Bake 9-11 minutes, being careful not to overbake. That’s it.
looking for more delicious cookie recipes? try these…
- Strawberry Jam Cookies
- Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Lemon Blueberry Cookies
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies
Let me know what you think below and if you like this Chocolate Chip Molasses Cookies Recipe then I know you’ll love my Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Blondies Recipe. It’s also got all the warm spices you’ll love.