Fresh Tomatoes. Fresh Basil. Forty Five Minutes. Freakin’ Delicious.
This Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup with basil is absolutely dreamy. Fresh tomatoes, onions and garlic roasted to a caramelized, concentrated perfection and finished with lots of rich cream and fresh basil, it is…
…it’s basically a reason for me to make obscenely cheesy, gooey grilled cheese sandwiches to swirl around and eat in unnecessary amounts. Ok? Ok.
This recipe is what we call “transitional eating” because it’s the kind of food we eat as summer is turning into fall. The warm days slowly turn into evenings with a slight bite in the air that makes warm soup just the right thing. It’s the same time of year where you’ll find me wearing jeans, a nice sweater, and flip flops.
I came up with this recipe because I was trying to use up the last of my garden tomatoes but had eaten enough tomato salads and tomato toasts to hold me over until at least next summer. I also wanted a quick and easy dinner that was still satisfying and flavourful. This is exactly what I wanted.
this Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup with basil recipe, how to make it…
This soup takes very little effort to make, but tastes like you simmered it for hours. A short roast in a hot oven concentrates the tomato flavours and mellows out the onion and garlic.
To make it you’ll roughly chop up some fresh tomatoes along with some onion and garlic. Toss with a hefty glug of olive oil and season with S&P and a pinch of sugar and red pepper flakes. Roast it all for a little over half an hour while you get your cheese and bread all lined up for the mandatory grilled cheese sandwiches.
When the dish comes out of the oven transfer the whole works to the blender and whiz it up until smooth. Dump it all into a soup pot, pour in a good amount of rich, heavy cream and toss in some chopped fresh basil. Warm it all through and serve with the aforementioned grilled cheese sandwiches.
Pure bliss my friends. Enjoy.
Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe ingredients, tips, substitutions:
Tomatoes – any and all tomatoes work for this soup so pick your fave.
Heat – I like a little pinch of red pepper flakes to give the soup some spunk, but feel free to turn up the heat and add more if you like, or add in a scoop of Calabrian Chili Paste or Harissa or even Gochujang.
Blending – I pour everything into my Vitamix blender, but feel free to use a handheld immersion blender and blend it all in the soup pot.
Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe Variations:
- This soup is vegetarian but if you want to make it vegan just sub in coconut cream for the heavy cream.
- Try adding in some cooked quinoa, rice or orzo (how my family likes it) to give it some texture.
- Stir in some cooked chicken or little white beans with the cream to add some protein.
need some other great tomato recipes? try these…
- Marinated Tomatoes
- Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes
- Orzo Pesto Salad with Quick Popped Tomatoes and Pepperoncini
- Minestrone Soup with Fresh Tomatoes
- Indian Fire-Roasted Tomato Rice
Is your mouth watering yet?? Mine is. 🙂
Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
- 5 cups fresh tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 white onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- In a baking dish combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, red pepper flakes and olive oil. Toss well.
- Roast at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
- Add the tomato mixture to the blender and puree. Pour into a soup pot along with the heavy cream and the basil.
- Heat through over low-medium heat. Season with more S&P if necessary.
Let me know what you think below and if you like this Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup with Basil Recipe with I think you should try this Friday Night Capellini with Buttery Tomatoes. If you love tomato flavours I know you’ll love it.