These Golden Roasted Beets are about to be your new favourite side.
I’m willing to bet that even the beet haters will like this one. Well, maybe not the beet haters, but definitely the beet dislikers. Why, you ask? Golden beets are milder, sweeter and a little less “earthy” tasting than red beets so they’re much easier for those who are selective eaters to accept. I also went ahead and piled them with plump, tart dried cherries, creamy goat cheese and then!!! Then I doused the whole works in an irresistible browned butter tarragon vinaigrette and I just don’t know who in the world would be able to resist that.
The beets take a while to roast, but you can do that ahead of time and the rest of the dish comes together really quickly. This is easily served as a side dish alongside just about anything, but it’s also a great warm lunch salad. A little crusty bread on the side… a nice glass of chardonnay… that’s right. For lunch. Let’s live a little.
Anything Special You Need to Know?
*I know everyone think red beets are incredibly healthy, and they’re not wrong, but so are yellow beets. Some might even call them a superfood.
*You can sub in feta or blue cheese for the goat cheese if you like. You can also use another kind of nut if walnuts aren’t your thing, pecans would work and pistachios would be fantastic. Can’t find dried cherries? Use cranberries, or even raisins.
*Not sure how to brown butter? I highly recommend you learn. It will change your life. Learn how here.
Golden Roasted Beets
- 4-5 medium sized golden beets
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp honey divided
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted and chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Chop the beets, toss them with the olive oil, honey, lemon juice and kosher salt. Cover and roast them at 375 for about an hour.
- Place the dried cherries in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Brown the butter. Pour into a bowl and whisk in the garlic clove, the white balsamic, the honey and the dried tarragon.
- Remove the beets from the oven and pour over the dressing. Then add in the dried cherries along with the walnuts, crumbled goat cheese and a big pinch each S&P. Toss and serve.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this Golden Roasted Beets Recipe then I hope you try my Kale Beet Salad with Avocado and Crispy Blue Cheese Crumbs. I think you’ll love it. It can’t be “beet”. 😉