Well this dessert sure didn’t last long in our house.
It is so good. The cake is super moist with crisp edges and it’s sunken in the center like a gooey butter cake, which initially had me thinking it was a disaster, but then my kids raved and my husband said this is everything he wants his dessert to be and I ate several pieces myself, you know, to make sure it was ok. It was. So very ok.
The streusel is crunchy and sweet. The strawberries brighten it up with some tang. And all that almond flavour… is there anything better?
The drizzle is optional, but why stop now? Highly recommend.
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp sweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 cup strawberries, chopped
- For the drizzle:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- A few drops almond extract
- To make the streusel combine together the melted butter, brown sugar, flour, salt, almonds and coconut. Mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- Combine in a bowl the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine the oil, sugar, egg, buttermilk, sour cream, vanilla and almond extract. Mix well.
- Combine dry and wet and mix until just combined.
- Pour into a greased 9” baking dish.
- Top with strawberries.
- Top with the streusel.
- Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool and if you care to drizzle, mix together the icing sugar, milk & almond extract Whisk until smooth and drizzle over the cake.
Let me know what you think!