Dinner in under 30 minutes. Who’s in???
We LOVE orzo around here. We eat it in salads, as a side dish, and it is the best addition ever to tomato soup.
So when one of my girls requested broccoli cheddar soup this week I decided to mix it up a bit. It worked.
Delicious, kid friendly, easy and fast. Dinner perfection? Go buy some broccoli and you tell me.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 lb orzo
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- Big pinch cayenne
- Big pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups grated aged cheddar
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion, celery and carrot. Cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add in garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Stir in orzo, cayenne, nutmeg and about 1/2 tsp each S&P.
- Add in the vegetable broth and broccoli and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, cream and cheese. Mix well and cook for a few minutes more until thickened.
Let me know what you think!