Not your average banana nut muffins.
Butter Pecan Banana Muffins. Now, I’m sure you’d love to be tucking into a pint of rich, creamy butter pecan ice cream right now – and I would too – but it’s morning people. This is breakfast. Get it together.
You can have that tonight, but for now… I’d say we’ll settle for, but there is no settling here friends. These muffins are heavenly. Easy to make, super moist, high-domed, streusel topped, buttery banana nut muffins studded with oats, pecans and butterscotch chips.
Are these muffins over the top? Possibly. But that’s how I believe muffins should be. Muffins are breakfast cupcakes in my world. Make cupcakes, but add enough good stuff into them to make them acceptable for breakfast.
These delicious little bites do just that… they’re filled with yogurt, pecans, oats, bananas and egg (yes I know all muffins have eggs but still… good for us right? worth mentioning). Instead of cupcake frosting we have streusel. See… breakfast. 😉
Butter Pecan Banana Muffins recipe, how to make it…
In case you’ve never made muffins before here’s the drill…
Make the streusel by mixing together pecans, flour, brown sugar, butter and a little salt. Mix until crumbly and set aside.
Mix together the dry ingredients… flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
Mix together the wet ingredients… banana, butter, oil brown sugar, milk, yogurt and vanilla.
Combine the two and don’t overmix! Why? Read this.
Fold in some pecans and butterscotch chips.
Fill up your muffin cups. Top the batter with streusel. Bake. Done! And just look at them…
Butter Pecan Banana Muffins Recipe ingredients, tips, substitutions:
Oats – I use old fashioned rolled oats but you can also use quick-cooking oats.
Flour – you can sub out one cup of the flour for whole wheat pastry flour.
Butter Pecan Banana Muffins Recipe Variations:
- Chocolate Pecan Banana Muffins – sub in chocolate chips for the butterscotch chips and add a couple of chocolate chips to the top of each muffin as well.
- Iced Pecan Banana Muffins – whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar with 2-4 Tbsp milk and a splash of vanilla until smooth and drizzle on top of cooled muffins.
- Cinnamon Pecan Banana Muffins – add 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon to the dry ingredients and 1/4 tsp cinnamon to the streusel topping.
looking for more fun and delicious banana recipes? try these…
- Banana Walnut & Ricotta Buttermilk Pancakes
- Banana Almond Flour Cookies with Chocolate Drizzle and Banana Crunch
- Banana Cream Pie Cookies
- Chocolate Chunk Banana Zucchini Cake
- Cashew Chia Pudding with Coconut Cream, Chocolate & Bananas
Pecan Banana Muffins
For the Muffins:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 bananas mashed
- 1/4 butter melted
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup pecans finely chopped
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup butter melted
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Make the streusel:
- In a bowl combine the pecans, flour, brown sugar, salt and butter. Mix until combined and crumbly.
Make the muffins:
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine the bananas, butter oil, sugar, egg, milk, yogurt and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the pecans and butterscotch chips.
- Divide the batter between 12 lined or greased muffin cups.
- Top each muffin with streusel.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425 then lower the heat to 350 and cook for an additional 14-16 minutes.
Let me know what you think below and if you like this Butter Pecan Banana Muffin Recipe then I know you’ll love my Carrot Banana Muffins. Banana Carrot goodness with yogurt and oats.