Or, how I finally figured out what to do with my vegan marshmallows.
This recipe for Rice Krispie Treat Cookies was born out of my need to use up the bags of vegan marshmallows I bought in an attempt to make vegan marshmallow Rice Krispie treats for my vegetarian daughter. I learned very quickly that they don’t quite work the same way and let me just tell you now, before you try it yourself, that making vegan Rice Krispie treats is not the same as making the regular ones and it leads to a lot of swearing and wasted ingredients. So, I aborted that plan and come up with these. The cookies are not vegan, but the mallows are, and they are darn good.
Vegan marshmallows have now become my secret weapon baking ingredient and you should be prepared to see a lot of them around here. Why? For the very reason I hated them when I first tried to cook with them. They don’t melt easily. If you’ve every tried to bake with regular marshmallows you know that at high oven temperatures they very quickly melt into whatever you’re making and pretty much disappear. Not so much with the vegan ones.
These guys stay intact. The marshmallows in the cookies stay in place, but they do melt and become soft and gooey. Any exposed marshmallows puff up and get a little browned and caramelized. They’re everything you hope a regular marshmallow will turn into in your baking but never does.
Rice Krispie Treat Cookies, the details.
If you’ve tried any of my other cookie recipes you know that I haaaaaaaate chilling cookie dough and unless it’s a special cookie that I really want and just will not work without chilling, you probably won’t find one here. When the craving hits, I want cookies in 30 minutes, not 24 hours and 30 minutes thank you very much. Want to try some of my others? You can have any of these in your face in 30 minutes:
- Coffee Cookies
- Matcha White Chocolate Cookies
- Raisinet Oatmeal Cookies
- White Chocolate and Raspberry Cookies with Macadamia Nuts
All of these recipes work just like the Rice Krispie Treat Cookies you’re reading about here. You’ll beat melted butter and sugars together until very, very light and fluffy. Don’t cheat, that step is important. Mix in some egg & vanilla and then the flour, milk powder, salt, baking powder & baking soda. Fold in some cereal and marshmallows and bake. I even dip the dough balls into extra Rice Krispies and top them off with extra marshmallows, but you don’t have to.
Tips, tricks, substitutions
- Vanilla- I use a full tablespoon of vanilla in this recipe because I really want them to taste like Rice Krispie treats. You can cut it down if you want to.
- Rice Krispies – I use the OG Rice Krispies, but I’m sure there are other brands that will work just fine. Just avoid rice “puffs” because you won’t achieve the same results.
- Butter – salted butter is best for these. I even add a little extra salt to the dough to make the flavour really pop.
I used to have to hunt for them at specialty stores, but more and more now I can find them in pretty much any grocery store. I usually buy Dandies, but there are several brands available.
Let me know what you think!
Rice Krispie Treat Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp milk powder
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup melted butter cooled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups Rice Krispies plus extra for topping
- 1 heaped cup vegan mini marshmallows plus extra for topping
- In an electric mixer combine the butter, sugar and brown sugar. Mix until very light and fluffy (5+ minutes)
- Add in the vanilla and the egg. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, milk powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the Rice Krispies and the marshmallows.
- Drop scoops of dough onto a baking sheet (I use my medium scoop, about 2 1/2 Tbsp).
- Dip the dough balls into extra Rice Krispies and top with a couple of extra marshmallows, if desired.
- Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes.
If you like this Rice Krispie Treat Cookie Recipe please go try my Recipe for Banana Cream Pie Cookies. Another way I took an already good dessert and made it into a cookie because portable = better.