One of my favourite salads of all time.
This Roasted Carrot Avocado Salad with Harissa Yogurt has a story. Not a long story, but one that’s worth telling… at least I think so, but maybe just because I want to hear myself tell it…
Years ago. We’re talking many, many years ago here friends… my Mom served a salad with roasted carrot and avocado and I died. I inhaled it. I loved it, I ate a huge plate of it and then ate some more. And I have not stopped thinking about it since. Two important things to note here. First, I obsessed about this dish for literally years. Second, it took. me literally years to get around to trying to recreate it.
Now you know me.
What’s so great about this Carrot Avocado Salad?
It’s the perfect combination of textures and flavours. Sweet, caramelized roasted carrots. Rich, creamy avocado. Smooth, thick, tangy greek yogurt spiked with fiery harissa. Crunchy nuts and seeds. Crisp toasted bread. And a punchy, herby, zippy and downright addictive dressing.
It’s also incredibly easy to make. Whisk a few ingredients together to make the dressing, chop and roast a few carrots and the rest is just assembly.
What Ingredients do you need to make this salad?
- Red Wine Vinegar – You can substitute another vinegar if that’s what you have, but red wine is best.
- Garlic – I use one clove, but you can add more if you like. My garlic was pretty potent so one was enough.
- Grainy Mustard – You can sub dijon if that’s what you have.
- Salt – I use pink himalayan salt.
- Olive Oil – I use extra virgin olive oil.
- Carrots – 5-6 medium sized carrots
- Pita Bread – Day old is just fine.
- Yogurt – I use full fat, thick greek yogurt.
- Harissa – Sub any hot sauce if you don’t have harissa, or omit if you don’t like heat.
- Pepitas – Raw, but you can use roasted.
- Pistachios – Roasted, salted.
Harissa is super tasty, but you can sub in any chili paste or hot sauce if you can’t find it. Or, you can be adventurous and make your own. Click here.
They may just need a little longer in the oven. If you like them really soft you can always blanch them for a minute or two before roasting. I like them to maintain a bit of crunch for this recipe, so just cook according to your preference.
Let me know what you think!
Roasted Carrot Avocado Salad with Harissa Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5-6 carrots cut into sticks
- 1 large pita bread cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup thick Greek Yogurt
- 2 tsp harissa
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 Tbsp pepitas
- 2 Tbsp pistachios chopped
- To make the dressing whisk together the vinegar, garlic, mustard, cumin, coriander, salt and olive oil.
- Toss the carrots with 2 Tbsp of the dressing and spread on a baking sheet. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- To the same baking dish add the pita pieces, drizzle with a little olive oil and place in the oven for 5 minutes until lightly toasted. Remove.
- Spread the yogurt and harissa on a serving plate. Top with the carrots and the avocado.
- Drizzle over the remaining dressing.
- Top with the pepitas, pistachios, pita bread, a sprinkle of flaky salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
If you like this Roasted Carrot & Avocado Salad Recipe please go try my Tahini Kale Salad with Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa & Feta Recipe. It’s also packed with flavour and so satisfying.