This Donut Cake is for all my non-Canadian friends who have never experienced the true life joy that is a Tim Horton’s sour cream donut (Canadian friends who haven’t, shame).
They are truly one of my very favourite things in life. And while I’m never opposed to getting my hands on one, sometimes I really don’t want to get out of my pjs on a Saturday… and so I had to try to make my own version. Yes, for breakfast. You’d eat a donut for breakfast right? Same thing.
This isn’t the same as an old fashioned donut… there’s no nutmeg or other spices. It’s all about the sour cream and vanilla. Heavy on the vanilla. It’s heaven.
- For the cake:
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs + 2 yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp milk powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a mixer combine the eggs, yolks and sugar. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Add in the butter, oil, milk powder, sour cream and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into a 9” round pan, but don’t smooth the top (you want some texture).
- Sprinkle the top evenly with 1 Tbsp sugar.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
- Let cool.
- For the glaze mix together the icing sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Mix well and pour onto the cake.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this recipe for my Sour Cream Donut Cake then you should definitely go and check out my Lime Surprise Triple Coconut Cake