Friends, I must tell you that in order to make these very delicious Applesauce Cinnamon Muffins I risked my life climbing the apple tree in my backyard to get the very best apples. I also risked my life and the lives of those around me by making and actually canning my own applesauce. I will say that everyone’s survival chances are looking good because I made my Mom can the applesauce with me. She also does not want the entire family dying of botulism, so she’s very happy to help.
I love a good muffin and these are everything I want a muffin to be… not dry, full of flavour and some kind of crunch factor on the top. Sometimes with my muffins that means streusel, but more often than not it’s just a good sprinkle of coarse sugar.
These are super easy to make and a great way to use up applesauce. Best served warm, with a big smear of butter and if you’re feeling a little extra you can even throw a little spoon of applesauce on top too.
Anything special you need to know?
*You can use all all-purpose flour instead of the whole wheat and oat flours.
* You can use all brown sugar instead of the coconut sugar.
*The walnuts are optional…. but so good!!
Spiced Applesauce Cinnamon Muffins
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-2 Tbsp coarse sugar
- In a medium bowl mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice.
- In a large bowl mix together the oil, sugars, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add in the applesauce and yogurt. Mix well.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the walnuts.
- Fill greased or lined muffin tin and sprinkle each muffin with sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this Spiced Applesauce Cinnamon Muffins Recipe then I think you’ll love my Recipe for Apple Blondies with Walnuts and Cinnamon Brown Butter Glaze They might be your next favourite thing to do with apples.
Pingback: Pumpkin Pecan Waffles with Salted Caramal Chips