This is it friends. This Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry with Cauliflower and Paneer is my new favourite way to eat squash.
Until tomorrow’s new favourite way.
Squash in curry is so good!! Who knew? Not me. But now I do, and so do you. So. Good.
I make a lot of vegetarian curries around here mostly because they keep everyone happy. My vegetarian daughter loves them, my carnivorous daughter loves them (especially with paneer), and my husband and I are pretty much up for any saucy, spicy thing we can eat with rice and unnecessarily large amounts of naan bread. Because it’s good, yes, but it’s all about the naan for me, which I smear with an also unnecessarily large amount of butter and top with garlic salt. OMG. Try it. Trust me.
You can easily mix this recipe up based on what you have on hand. If you don’t have paneer, just leave it out. If you’d rather use chicken, just add it to the pan to roast in the oven with the veg. It doesn’t even have to be a butternut squash chickpea curry… it can be sweet potato and broccoli curry… or potato cauliflower curry… or chicken and sweet potato curry… it all works, it’s all delicious, it all works very well with naan.
Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash and 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 Tbsp oil plus more for roasting
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 block Paneer cut into 1” cubes
- Toss the butternut squash and cauliflower florets with a good drizzle oil and S&P.
- Spread on a baking sheet and roast at 425 for about 25 minutes, turning halfway through. While it cooks make the curry…
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add in the onion.
- When the onion has softened add in the garlic and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the curry powder, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon and cayenne.
- Let cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, broth and coconut milk.
- Simmer 10 minutes and add in the chickpeas and paneer. Let cook 5 minutes.
- Add in the squash and cauliflower.
- Serve with rice & naan.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry Recipe then I think you’ll love my Recipe for Minestrone with Fresh Tomatoes and Parmesan It’s also cozy, easy, delicious and vegetarian.