Spicy sourdough grilled cheese with two cheeses, spicy chili crisp and sweet, sticky honey.
This sweet & spicy cheese sandwich is crispy, gooey, buttery heaven. It is ridiculously simple and easy to make… really not much of an actual recipe here but more of an idea. An idea that I couldn’t get out of my head and now a food that I can’t get enough of.
If you love sweet ‘n salty… or sweet ‘n spicy… of gooey ‘n cheesy… or crisp ‘n buttery… or if you’re like me and you like all of the above then you are in for a treat and you are going to loooooooove this.
Making this sandwich it is not the time to be shy with ingredients. I’m usually a less is more kind of person, but I believe more is more here. Lots of cheese, lots of heat, lots of butter and lots of honey. Oh, and then add some more honey after you fry it. And maybe dip it in a little extra chili crisp if you’re feeling spicy.
Trust me when I say that this is a multiple napkin situation.
Anything Special You Need to Know?
*Where do I buy chili crisp? It’s actually pretty readily available these days. I find it in the Asian foods section at most grocery stores. Otherwise, a specialty asian market will surely carry it.
*What the heck is chili crisp anyway? Only one of the best condiments you’ll ever put in your mouth. Try it once and you seriously will want to put it on everything. Read this.
Spicy Cheese Sandwich With Chili Crisp & Honey
- 4 slices sourdough
- 2 Tbsp chili crisp
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2/3 cup shredded white cheddar
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella
- Lay out the bread slices and spread evenly with the chili crisp.
- Divide the cheese onto 2 of the slices.
- Drizzle the honey evenly over the cheese.
- Close the bread to make two sandwiches.
- Butter the outsides of both sides of each sandwich.
- Cook in a heavy skillet over medium heat until browned and crisp on both sides.
- Serve with extra honey.