This super creamy slow cooker Vegetarian Rice Soup is super easy to throw together and absolutely delicious. It has to be… I’m super picky about what I’m willing to make in the slow cooker. Mostly because I have to haul that thing out of my “appliance cabinet” where it lives stacked and piled amongst the many other seldom used appliances that I absolutely had to have but use only occasionally, rarely, or never (I’m talking to you milkshake machine…).
So, yes, the dish has to be delicious, and this one definitely makes the cut. A vegetarian wild rice soup that’s hearty, thick and creamy and loaded with veggies. I added lots of fresh herbs, little white beans and a little wine too (because if I can, I will).
This is what I want to eat all Fall. Try it and you will want to too.
Anything special you need to know?
* You can use coconut cream in place of the cream to make this a vegan rice soup.
* You can add additional veggies if you like… zucchini, mushrooms or sweet potatoes would be good here.
* You can easily sub in regular white rice if you don’t have the wild rice blend. (I used this rice – NOT an AD, I just like it)
*Don’t want a vegetarian wild rice soup? Use chicken broth and brown a few chicken thighs to add in with the rest of the ingredients.
*A little Parm cheese add in at the end wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world. If you try it let me know!
Vegetarian Rice Soup
- slow cooker
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice blend
- 1 onion diced
- 5 carrots diced
- 4 celery stalks diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh Rosemary chopped
- 2 Tbsp sherry
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 5-6 large kale leaves chopped
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker, stir.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Stir in one cup navy beans, and
- 5-6 large kale leaves, chopped, and
- 1 cup cream
- If the soup is thicker than you like add in an additional 1/2 cup milk.
- Stir and let all heat through an additional 10 minutes.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this Vegetarian Rice Soup Recipe then I think you’d love my Minestrone with Fresh Tomatoes. It’s also vegetarian and also absolutely scrumptious.