Who doesn’t love asparagus? My kids, that’s who. But the good news is that my husband and I got to pretty much devour this whole dish by ourselves. And holy yum is it good. A super fast and easy asparagus recipe that’s buttery and cheesy with a little crunch from the walnuts… so delicious.
Broiling or grilling is my preferred way to eat asparagus because I love how quickly it cooks and a slight char makes it taste just amazing. It’s also a good way to keep an eye on it because overcooked asparagus is, well, gross.
As easy as it is to prepare, this is definitely an impressive dish that is perfect for entertaining. So many great flavours that go so well together give it a real wow factor. And even better? You can have the butter and asparagus prepped and ready to go hours ahead of serving time. Nobody will know how easy it is.
We ate this as a side dish with grilled chicken for dinner but I think it would also make an amazing addition to a spring brunch table… topped with some lacy fried eggs maybe? Sprinkled with crispy bacon? So yum.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- one bundle of asparagus (about a pound)
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated smoked gouda
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- fresh lemon juice
- Brown the butter and set aside.
- Spread the asparagus out evenly on an oven safe baking dish and toss with a light drizzle of oil and a sprinkle of S&P.
- Broil 3-4 minutes until tender-crisp.
- Remove, drizzle with the brown butter and top with the gouda and walnuts.
- Return to the broiler for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Remove and top with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Let me know what you think!