Making this Beef and Broccoli Chow Mein was… interesting…
Pop quiz: What are you NOT supposed to put on a grease fire?
You said water right? You’re right.
I knew that too.
Which is funny because what did I do when some old grease caught on fire in the bbq? Immediately grabbed a pitcher of water and doused it.
Long story short, the decision to broil this steak came shortly after I almost burned the house down.
The good news is that I now know that broiling steak really works and I am definitely going to do it more often! And not just because I’m not allowed to use the bbq anymore.
Drama aside, this meal is absolutely delicious. Juicy buttery steak on a bed of super tasty noods tossed with crisp broccoli and bean sprouts. It’s really really good!
- 1 lb steak (I used 2 sirloin steaks)
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin
- 2 Tbsp Mirin
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- For the butter:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Salt, pepper and five spice powder
- The rest:
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 package fresh asian egg noodles
- 1/2 package bean sprouts
- sesame seeds
- To make the sauce whisk together the water, cornstarch, soy sauce, hoisin, Mirin, garlic, sesame oil and white pepper. Set aside.
- To make the 5 Spice butter mash together the butter, a pinch each of salt, pepper, and five spice powder.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add in the broccoli. After 1 minute add in the noodles. Boil 1 minute more. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat a cast iron skillet under the broiler until nice and hot.
- Oil your steak, season with S&P and add it to the hot pan. Place under the broiler for about 4-5 minutes per side until cooked to your liking.
- Remove skillet and top the steak with the butter. Remove from the skillet and slice.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and bring to a simmer. When it’s thickened add in the broccoli, noodles and bean sprouts. Toss well.
- Top with the sliced steak, sliced scallions and sesame seeds.
Let me know what you think!