These Matcha Brownies are currently an obsession around here. And by obsession I mean I can’t stop and can someone please come and help me eat some of these???
I am a huge fan of matcha. And of chewy, fudgy brownies. Put the two together and what more could I ever want? I mean, green tea brownies? Doesn’t that just sound like we’re doing something good for ourselves? This is practically health food and you and your immune system are welcome. Don’t believe me? Read this.
These technically are not actually brownies because there’s no chocolate in the batter. Technically, they are matcha blondies, but I don’t really think you’ll care what we call them once you dig in. They are so good. Now, I must say, you really should be a matcha lover to appreciate these because you can definitely taste the tea. If that’s your jam though, we are on the same team and you are in for a treat!
Also, these can be made, start to finish, in about 30 minutes. The only waiting here is letting them cool before adding the glaze. I can tell you that some people have been known to steal a very warm corner piece and drizzle it anyway, but I’m not going to tell you what to do.
Anything Special You Need to Know?
*I recommend sifting the matcha powder into the flour because matcha can have a tendency to be a bit clumpy and you want to avoid any little lumps.
*The white chocolate glaze is totally optional but very highly recommended.
*These are also really good with white chocolate chips. Just add 1/2 cup to the batter before baking. I really like the mini ones. 😉
Fudgy Matcha Brownies with White Chocolate Glaze
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp matcha powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For the Glaze:
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp cream
- 2 Tbsp icing sugar
- Mix together the butter, sugars, egg and vanilla in a bowl. Whisk well.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, matcha powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Spread the batter evenly in a greased or lined 8×8” baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool and then make the glaze.
- Melt the chocolate chips and cream together and whisk until smooth. Stir in the icing sugar.
- Drizzle over the brownies.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this Matcha Brownie Recipe then you must try my Mochi Brownie Recipe. They are absolutely decadent and also super easy.