Cast iron skillet dessert recipes are my new favourite thing. And I very strongly believe they should be your new favourite thing too! No heating up the house and so easy to make. I actually debated whether I should call this a cast iron cookie or a cast iron brownie because it’s somewhere in between. Crispy edges like a cookie, soft gooey center like the best brownies. I settled on “dessert”. Call it whatever you want… it’s so good. The important thing to note here is that I made this on the BBQ!!! No oven involved.
The other important thing to note is that you will not be able to stop eating this. There are currently pieces of this deliciousness in my freezer because I had to stop myself somehow (sidebar: this is also good frozen ?).
Crispy edges, gooey chocolatey center, melty chocolate chunks and fresh cherries. Eaten warm topped with scoops of vanilla ice cream… insanely good!
- 3/4 cup PLUS 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate (or chocolate chips), divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups pitted, halved cherries
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Melt 3/4 cup butter with 1/2 cup chocolate.
- Add in the brown sugar, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add in the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Mix until combined and fold in the remaining 1 cup chocolate
- Over medium heat on the BBQ, melt 1 Tbsp butter In a 10” cast iron skillet and add in the cherries & almond extract.
- Let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet and evenly cover the cherries with the batter. Return to the BBQ over indirect heat (try to maintain 350 degrees inside the BBQ) for 30-40 minutes.
- Eat warm. Serve with ice cream.
Let me know what you think!
If you like the recipe for this Chocolate Cherry Cast Iron Skillet Dessert then you should also go and check out my Double Dark Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Bars. They’re chocolate cherry heaven. Oh, and my Orange Chocolate Cake. It’s to die for.