This Spicy Spanish Cod and Shrimp recipe is for all my flavour seekers out there!!
It’s a taste explosion, which I love, and surprisingly simple to make, which I also love. I should tell you that this dish has been a long time coming. Why? Well friends, first I have to say that I’m getting more comfortable with the fact that I can be a little obsessive about things. And by things I mean food. And by a little I mean a lot.
Out for lunch last summer my sister-in-law told me about a dish they had at a restaurant that sounded really good to me… and I’ve been thinking about it ever since. Like, for a year. So I’m obsessive and apparently also slow to act.
But! I finally came up with my own recipe for Spanish Cod based on her description and it. Is. Good!!
Crispy, meaty fish and shrimp on a bed of saucy, spicy, zippy peppers and onions… if you’re looking for big flavours you’ll find them here.
Spicy Spanish Cod & Shrimp
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion sliced
- 3 peppers sliced (I used red and orange)
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 cup broth
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Pinch sugar
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2-4 thick cod filets
- 8-10 medium-large shrimp
- 2-3 Tbsp flour
- Olive oil for cooking
- Parsley for serving
- Pour 1/4 cup olive oil into a large skillet and add in the onion and peppers.
- Sauté until slightly softened.
- Add in the tomatoes and the garlic.
- Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste, wine, broth, paprika, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, sugar and S&P to taste.
- Stir and let simmer for about 10 minutes
- Stir in the red wine vinegar. Keep warm.
- Season the cod and shrimp with S&P and then coat lightly with flour.
- Heat a few Tbsp olive oil in a separate skillet over medium-high heat and pan fry the cod and shrimp (in batches, if necessary) until browned and crisp and cooked through.
- Add the fish to the pepper mixture and top with chopped parsley. Serve with rice & chickpeas.