I loooooooooove homemade crispy fish tacos. Or any fish tacos, really. But these ones, will all the accessories, are my all-time fave.
I promise these are hands-down the best quick pickled jalapeños you’ll ever have, and if you’re looking for a good cabbage slaw for fish tacos, you have found it my friend.
There are a few steps to this meal, but they’re all simple and not a single one of them is turning on your oven!!! Yay!
It also really doesn’t take much time at all to throw this meal together and can you really beat homemade crispy fish tacos? I think not.
I will say that you can just use store bought jalapeños and skip that step, but once you try these delicious little guys you may never buy them again.
- For the quick pickled jalapeños:
- 2 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 smashed garlic clove
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- For the fish:
- 1 lb fish (I used cod)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- For the slaw:
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- zest & juice of a lime
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 small minced garlic clove
- Pinch sugar
- Pack the jalapeño slices into a jar.
- In a small saucepan combine the vinegar, water, garlic clove, honey and salt. Bring to a boil and pour over the jalapeños. Set aside.
- To make the fish cut about a pound of fish (I used cod) into strips, place in a bowl and pour in about a cup of buttermilk.
- Combine the flour, cornstarch, cornmeal and Old Bay Seasoning in a separate bowl.
- Coat the fish pieces in the flour mixture and shallow fry them in a pan until crisp and cooked through.
- To make the slaw mix the cabbage and cilantro in a bowl with the lime zest & juice, the yogurt, garlic, sugar and S&P. Toss well.
- Serve the fish tacos with warm corn tortillas, the jalapeños, diced mango and the slaw.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this Recipe for Homemade Crispy Fish Tacos with Quick Pickled Jalapeños and Fish Taco Cabbage Slaw then you should also go and check out my Southwest Salad with Jalapeño Lime Vinaigrette and Honey Butter Cornbread Croutons