Greek Yogurt Marinated Chicken is the best chicken. I said it. The BEST chicken.
Oh my goodness these chicken skewers are good… and this sauce… if you hear someone tell me to stop hitting the sauce it’s very likely not because I’m drunk, but because I have face planted into a bowl of this chutney.
I’m absolutely in love with it. We ordered in Indian food one night and the order showed up with a couple of little containers of this fragrant and super tasty green sauce. I was instantly obsessed (because that’s how I roll) and could not stop myself from going to the store the next morning to get everything I needed to make a batch. So easy. So good.
I’m actually in love with this whole meal. Juicy, spiced & charred chicken thigh pieces with sweet peppers and onions are drizzled with (or in my case doused in) this super flavourful herby chutney. Add a little yogurt if you like and serve with rice or pile it onto some fresh naan. It’s so good and a perfect patio meal!
Anything Special You Need to Know?
*I do love my chicken breasts, but I definitely prefer boneless skinless chicken thighs for grilling. I just feel like they don’t dry out as easily and have better flavour.
*Do you have to use Greek yogurt for the marinade? No, but I like how it’s thick and coats the meat well.
*Now that I’m a wee bit obsessed with chutney I found this list of types of chutneys kind of fascinating!
*I usually make this on our outdoor grill, but if you have a good grill pan you can easily make it inside.
Greek Yogurt Marinated Chicken Skewers with Cilantro Mint Chutney
- For the chicken:
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Zest of one lemon + 1 Tbsp juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs chopped into pieces
- 1 red onion
- 2-3 peppers any color
- For the chutney:
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 chopped jalapeño
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup water
- In a bowl mix together the greek yogurt, garlic, ginger, garam masala, lemon zest & juice, salt and cayenne. Mix well and add in the chicken. Stir to coat and refrigerate for a few hours.
- To make the chutney add the cilantro, mint and jalapeño to a food processor or blender. Blend until roughly chopped.
- Add in the ginger, cumin, salt, sugar, lemon, onion and water. Blend until finely chopped and transfer to a bowl.
- Cut the onion and peppers into chunks and toss with a drizzle of oil and S&P.
- Thread the chicken and veggies onto skewers and grill.
- Serve with the chutney and more greek yogurt.
Let me know what you think!
If you like these Greek Yogurt Marinated Chicken skewers then you should definitely go and check out my Honey, Gochujang & Ginger Ribs! They are also flavour packed and perfect for the grill.