Rhubarb lover? Rhubarb not-so-much lover? Looking for a new rhubarb recipe?
Hands up if you ate rhubarb dipped in sugar when you were a kid. ??♀️
That’s awesome. I did not. I thought it was gross. Pretty sure you couldn’t even convince me to eat it today. But rhubarb like this??? Delicious.
When my girls were younger she would give my girls rhubarb from her garden dipped in honey and they loved it. It was probably honey because she didn’t want them eating a bunch of straight up sugar, which makes me kinda scared for her to see this recipe.
I first made these scrumptious little bars last year and they are what turned my aversion to rhubarb around. They’re that good. The buttery crust gets a little crisp and the filling is like a sweet, spiced custard with tangy little bites of rhubarb. It’s really, really delicious.
- For the crust:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- For the filling:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp dried ginger
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a bowl combine the flour, sugar and butter. Mix all together with your hands until the butter is all incorporated and it’s sandy.
- Firmly press into a lined 8×8 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- While it bakes mix together the eggs, sugar, flour, salt, cardamom, ginger and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Mix in the diced rhubarb.
- Evenly spread the filling over the crust and sprinkle with about 1/2 cup sliced almonds.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this Easy Rhubarb Recipe then you should definitely go and check out my Foolproof Blueberry Lavender Jam!