Is this a crazy idea? It feels a bit crazy.
But!! Before you pre-judge anything here, know that this Grilled Cheese with Honey, Sage & Butternut Squash is good. CRAZY good. The only thing I want to eat from now until forever good.
Remember that toast I made last year with Sautéed Butternut Squash, Ricotta, Cinnamon, Honey and Chili Flakes?? It was a huge hit and this is kind of my 2022 version and dare I say it’s even better? If that’s possible… not bragging, just facts.
This is like the best grilled cheese sandwich you’ve ever had. It’s comfort food heaven. Melty, gooey, cooked to a perfectly golden brown in a skillet and topped with a big drizzle of honey and a big old pinch of spicy red pepper flakes. I even added fresh sage leaves to the outside of the sandwich so you get a whole brown butter, crispy sage vibe going on. Plus, there’s butternut squash in it! You know what that means right? It means this is practically salad.
Anything special you need to know?
You need to have some cooked butternut squash on hand for this sandwich. You can follow the instructions in the recipe I posted above for sautéed butternut squash if you’re happy cooking the it that way. I usually roast it for dinner the night before and use the leftovers in this sandwich. If you want to roast them you can follow instructions from Queen Ina here.
What Ingredients do you need to make this Grilled Cheese with Honey?
- Butternut Squash – already cooked, preferably roasted
- Bread – I like sourdough for this sandwich
- Apple Cider Vinegar – just a little, but it really adds some zip
- Mozzarella Cheese – grated
- Red Pepper Flakes – optional, but highly recommended
- Honey – the runny, drippy kind
- Sage – also optional, but so good
- Soft Butter – lots 😉
Anything Special You Need to Know?
The correct answer is ALL cheese. No lie. Cheddar, goat, provolone, blue, asiago, parmesan… I honestly can’t think of a cheese that isn’t improved by a little honey drizzle.
Lots and lots of butter and low heat. I usually go low-medium heat and keep a close eye. You don’t want to brown the outside too quickly or the cheese won’t be melted.
I’m a devout fan of sourdough for so many reasons… texture, flavour, crust… but you can really use any bread you like. Even sturdier, grainy breads work wonderfully for grilled cheese.
Let me know what you think!
Grilled Cheese with Honey, Sage & Butternut Squash
- 2/3 cup roasted butternut squash cubes
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Red pepper flakes
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Sage leaves
- Place the squash cubes on a plate, sprinkle with the vinegar and some salt and mash together until smooth.
- Evenly spread the mashed squash on two of the bread slices.
- Top each with 1/2 cup mozzarella, a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
- Top with the remaining two slices of bread.
- Butter the outside of both sides of the sandwiches and press 4-6 sage leaves on each side, pressing lightly into the butter so they stick.
- Grill sandwiches over low-medium heat in a heavy skillet until the cheese is melted and the sandwiches are golden brown on both sides.
- Remove to a plate, drizzle with more honey and sprinkle with more red pepper flakes, if desired.
If you like this Grilled Cheese with Honey Sage & Butternut Squash Recipe please go try my Recipe for a Spicy Cheese Sandwich with Chili Crisp & Honey. It’s absolutely scrumptious.