Hoo boy do I ever love this tomato rice. I made a big batch of it for dinner with those chicken skewers I made a few days ago (linked at the bottom of the page) and then I just didn’t stop eating it. I’m still eating it. And just FYI, because I know you’re wondering… it does make a pretty darn fine breakfast!!
The butter, the warm spices, the smoky tomatoes… it’s really delicious. It’s a perfect side dish for so many things but you could easily make it a whole meal by adding some chicken or chickpeas and veggies… maybe spinach? cauliflower? I think the options are endless.
Feel free to amp up the heat too if that’s your thing. Just dump in a bit more cayenne.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch cloves
- 2 tsp chili garlic paste
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 14 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Cilantro and yogurt to serve
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and add in the onion.
- Cook until softened and add in the garlic, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, garam masala, cayenne, cloves and chili garlic paste.
- Cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the rice, salt and tomatoes and stir until heated through.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and yogurt.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this recipe for Indian Tomato Rice then you should definitely go and check out my Yogurt and Spice Marinated Chicken Skewers! They are perfect together.