Baked Chocolate Mochi Donuts with Nutella Glaze.
Oh Mochi Donuts, how I love you. Friends, I’m going to tell you something kind of earth shattering here… did you know that there is absolutely no need to pull out the deep fryer to make the most amazing donuts at home? It’s true guys. Listen…
Have you ever had a baked donut and thought… well that’s just a round muffin with a hole in it now isn’t it????
Most times they’re just a big let down.
Not. These. They are chewy, super chocolatey and almost brownie like. I swear they will blow your mind. Plus… Nutella! Who wouldn’t like that?!
I’m now certain that Mochi is the only way to go for baked donuts… remember those browned butter buttermilk ones I made a while ago??? So. Good.
If you’ve been around here for any amount of time you probably have noticed that I have a bit of a love for all things mochi. It’s just… I don’t want to oversell it… it’s just the best thing ever!!
Whoever discovered sweet rice flour… thank you. A thousand thank yous to you.
Anything Special You Need to Know?
*This might be annoying, but I’m probably going to say this with every single mochi recipe I post, but you do not want to make a mistake here! Not all rice flours are created equally. They are not the same. You must use sweet rice flour (like this) to make mochi. There, I said it.
*This may sound absolutely bonkers because I know donuts are always best fresh, but we actually pick at these all day long when I make them and they are possibly even better after they’ve sat around for a bit.
*The added chocolate drizzle listed in the recipe notes is totally optional, I was just feeling extra chocolatey when I made them and what could possibly be wrong with extra chocolate??
Mochi Donuts with Nutella Glaze
- 1 cup sweet rice flour
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 ounce dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the glaze:
- 2 Tbsp Nutella
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- Combine the sweet rice flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Mix well.
- Melt the butter and dark chocolate together and stir.
- Add the cream, brown sugar, egg and vanilla into the butter-chocolate mixture. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Pipe into donut pan and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Make the glaze:
- Warm the Nutella and the heavy cream together and whisk until smooth. Add the vanilla and the icing sugar. Whisk until smooth.
- Dunk the donuts in the glaze and set on a wire rack.