You may have the intention of making these Zucchini Arancini Balls to serve as an appetizer… but I’m going to have to warn you that you may want to reconsider making any other food to go with them because I can pretty much guarantee that you will eat the whole batch. You can trust me. I am experienced and I know this. And really, they’re best fresh, so it is the right thing to do.
This is like taking zucchini risotto to the next level friends. Crispy tasty bundles of zucchini risotto that ooze pools of cheese when you bite into them. OMG are they ever good. Also… they use up both leftover risotto AND more of your zucchini! I’m on your side friends. Enjoy.
- 3 cups cold leftover risotto
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 egg
- 12 1/2″ cubes mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- In a bowl combine the leftover risotto, the grated zucchini and the egg. Mix well.
- Form the mixture into balls (I had about 12), stuff each ball with a cube of mozzarella, making sure to seal up the risotto around the cheese, and set the balls on a lined baking sheet.
- Place the flour, the eggs and the panko in three separate bowls.
- Roll each zucchini risotto ball in the flour, then the egg, then the panko.
- Once again, set the balls on the lined baking sheet.
- Heat about an inch of oil (I used grapeseed) in a large skillet.
- Shallow fry the risotto balls, in two batches so they’re not crowded, until golden brown on all sides.
- Serve with your favourite marinara.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this Zucchini Arancini Balls Recipe then I think you’ll love my Recipe for Aglio e Olio with Lemon and Olives.