Super Crispy, finger licking chicken wings dripping in a sweet & sticky soy, garlic butter sauce. Drool worthy? Yep. Yes. Very much so.
These Soy Garlic Chicken Wings are saucy, sticky, and soooooooo good. They’re perfectly crispy and coated in a dark, rich soy garlic sauce that I promise you will find hard to stop eating.
We like to make a meal out of these wings with fluffy rice and a spicy cucumber salad, but they’re also a perfect appetizer or snack. I know some people may not consider a big plate of wings a “snack”, but we’re not here to judge me now are we?
my foodie Chatter…
We have a Korean fried chicken restaurant a little too close to where we live and we order takeout from them probably a little too often. The chicken is insanely crispy, super juicy and just plain good. We always order the sweet & spicy Korean BBQ chicken, but sometimes we mix it up and get their sweet soy chicken because it is so delicious. This is my take on that chicken and dare I say I might like it even more?
Fried chicken in pretty much any form is one of my very favourite things, so when I can create a homemade version that’s easy, less messy, and truly yummy, I am a very, very happy home cook. I know you’re gonna love this one…
soy garlic chicken wings, how to make them…
I’ve given you instructions for baking these wings in the oven and also for cooking them in the air fryer. I am not at all opposed to deep frying your wings (or anything else tbh) but it’s just not my favourite thing to fry and I honestly think the results are just as good, and just as crispy, using other methods… and P.S. it’s much less messy and my house doesn’t smell like a deep fryer for days.
They key to super crispy wings that are baked is simple – a little cornstarch and a little oil. The cornstarch keeps the wings dry and the oil helps them crisp even more. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. It works for me.
So, toss the wings with a thin coating of cornstarch and then a light spray of oil. Toss them in the air fryer or set them on a wire rack placed over a baking sheet and set them to cook.
While they cook you’ll make the sauce by melting some butter, adding in a little garlic and then adding in the rest of the sauce ingredients. The sauce is super simple and is made of soy sauce, brown sugar and Mirin, mixed with a little water and cornstarch. You’ll let all of that bubble away until thickened.
As soon as the wings are cooked you’ll toss them with the sauce and serve. We like them served with sliced scallions & sesame seeds and lots of fluffy white rice to soak up extra sauce. So yum.
Soy Garlic Chicken Wings Recipe ingredients, tips, substitutions:
Chicken Wings – This recipe calls for 1 1/2 lbs of chicken wings, but it makes a lot of sauce, so if you have a hungry bunch you can increase that amount to 2 lbs of wings.
Soy Sauce – I add a small amount of dark soy sauce into this recipe because I like the rich colour it provides and the little extra soy flavour hit. You can omit it without sacrificing flavour though if you don’t have it.
Mirin – I adore Mirin and use it a lot in my cooking. If you don’t have it you can substitute any sweet wine, sake or chinese cooking wine.
Spicy Soy Garlic Wings – If you want to add some heat to these wings you easily can. Add in 1/2-1 tsp red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the sauce.
want to know what to serve these soy garlic chicken wings with?
- Fluffy steamed white rice is a very obvious, and delicious accompaniment (you can easily whip up my Instant Pot Jasmine Rice) but maybe you’re throwing a big chicken wing party and want some other options? Let me know which one you want me to bring. 😉
- Smashed Cucumber and Crispy Rice Salad
- Miso Fried Rice with Brown Butter, Crispy Kale and Mushrooms
- Veggie Fried Rice with Spicy Chili Garlic Aioli and Crispy Shallots
- Kale Cucumber “Seaweed” Salad
- and wouldn’t these Double Chocolate Mochi Brownies be the perfect dessert?
Soy Garlic Wings
For the wings:
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken wings
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
For the sauce:
- 2 Tbsp butter:
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Mirin
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp corn starch
- Thinly sliced scallions
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Toss the wings with the cornstarch in a large bowl. They should be evenly and lightly coated. Place in the air fryer or on sprayed wire racks over a baking sheet. Spray with oil.
To cook in the Air Fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 degrees. Cook the wings for for 18-20 minutes, flipping or tossing halfway through, until browned and crisp.
To cook in the oven:
- Lay the wings on sprayed wire racks over a baking sheet. Place in a 425 degree preheated oven. Cook for 45 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
While the wings cook, make the sauce**:
- Mix together the soy sauce, dark soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin, water and cornstarch. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small pot melt the butter over medium heat and when it’s hot add in the garlic. Allow to cook for 1 minute then add in the soy sauce mixture.
- Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for a few minutes, whisking often, until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat.
When the wings are cooked:
- Remove from oven or fryer and immediately toss with the garlic butter mixture.
- Sprinkle with sliced green onion and sesame seeds and serve with steamed rice.
Let me know what you think below and if you like this Soy Garlic Chicken Wings Recipe I know you’ll also love my Dragon Chicken Recipe. Give it a try!