Who doesn’t love a dish that’s fancy enough for entertaining but is Tuesday night easy?
These Truffle Butter Steak Bites are tender, decadent, packed with flavour and take about 10 minutes of working time to make. They make such an easy meal and would even make a fantastic appetizer because they’re seriously good eaten straight out of the pan – I know because that’s exactly how I ate a large number of these the first time I made them.
The only special ingredient you’ll need is truffle oil. If you don’t own truffle oil I’m going to highly recommend you invest in some. It’s easy to find these days and it is insanely tasty.
All it takes to make these tasty little bites is mixing up a quick marinade, tossing it with your steak and letting it do its’ thing. Then you whip up a little homemade truffle butter (yes!!), quickly pan fry the steak, quickly cook the butter and then toss it all together.
It is OMG good.
Anything special you need to know?
Yes, definitely. Be forewarned that when you cook steak indoors in cast iron you must have a very hot pan. What this means is that you also must have good ventilation in your kitchen. I do not have good ventilation in my kitchen and I have no idea why my neighbours have not called the fire department when I make this dish. I can hardly see my family through the smoke I create but I’m honestly ok with that since my face is buried in my plate anyway.
The vey hot pan is needed to get a good sear quickly. These steak bites cook in just a few minutes and you want to get some good colour and a good crust on them.
One other important thing to know is to turn the heat down before adding the butter. Like, way down. When cast iron gets hot it is HOT. And it stays hot. So, get the heat down and watch your butter carefully, making sure to get it out of the pan before it burns.
What Ingredients do you need to make these Truffle Butter Steak Bites?
- Steak – Most any cut will work for this, but because we’re marinating the steak to tenderize it and add flavour, I tend to use less expensive cuts.
- Olive Oil – I use extra virgin. This is my favourite brand.
- Soy Sauce
- Red Wine – whatever you like to drink
- Dijon Mustard
- Black Pepper – preferably freshly cracked
- Butter – I use salted butter
- Truffle Oil – I use black truffle oil
FAQs and other important stuff (or not important at all but just things I want to talk about)…
It’s so easy I don’t. know why you’d ever need to buy truffle butter. You simply mash up your truffle oil with soft butter. Adjust to your tastes and add garlic and/or pepper to really make it fabulous.
What can’t you do with truffle butter? Use it to butter crostini… toss it with freshly cooked pasta along with some of the pasta cooking water to make the most amazing pasta sauce… melt it on whatever seasonal veggies you’re cooking… add it into your mashed potatoes… mix some into your risotto… melt it and drizzle it on popcorn, then sprinkle over some parmesan and black pepper… it’s just so good.
You could use a filet or a rib-eye for this recipe, but I find it unnecessary and that the marinade does a lovely job of tenderizing the cheaper cuts. Sirloin is good. I’ve used flat iron steak and inside round as well.
Let me know what you think!
Truffle Butter Steak Bites
- 1 1/2 lbs steak cut into cubes*
For the marinade:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp red wine
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp pepper
For the butter:
- 3 Tbsp butter softened
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp truffle oil
- Mix together the olive oil, soy sauce, red wine, mustard and pepper.
- Pour over the steak and mix to coat all the pieces well.
- Refrigerate and let marinate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- To make the butter, mash together the butter, garlic and truffle oil until well combined and uniform.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over high heat and when it’s hot add the steak in a single layer into the pan (in batches if necessary).
- Leave to cook for about 2 minutes, undisturbed, until browned.
- Flip the steak pieces over and cook about 1 minute more.
- Remove the steak to your serving dish and lower the heat on the pan.
- Add in the butter and cook for one minute.
- Pour the butter over the steak. Season with flaky salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
If you like this Truffle Butter Steak Recipe please go try my Recipe for Gnocchi with Creamy Truffle Mushroom Sauce… because truffle is always a good idea.