Simple. Delicious. Comfort Food Heaven.
Creamy Vegetarian Gnocchi Soup is everything I want on a cold snowy day. A rich, creamy soup of vegetables, herbs, creamy white beans and gnocchi is exactly what comfort food should be. A big, steaming bowl of this soup with big chunks of buttered crusty bread is absolute bliss.
Creamy vegetarian soups are a big hit in this house. Everyone is happy and it makes the winter days more tolerable.
For now, I’ll call this my fave. The creaminess from the white beans and the gnocchi go so well with the rosemary and the thyme and if you want to really take it over the top (in the very best way), top yours with freshly grated parmesan cheese, freshly cracked black pepper and a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil.
Here’s how you make my Vegetarian Gnocchi Soup…
Warm up a little butter and olive oil in a pot and add in some chopped onion and carrots to soften. Then you’ll add in some garlic, herbs and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Into the veggies you’ll stir a bit of flour to help thicken the soup and then pour in some vegetable broth and milk (coconut milk works if you want to keep it vegan). Add in your creamy cannellini beans and let it all simmer together.
To finish the soup add in the gnocchi, parmesan cheese and heavy cream. Stir, heat through and tuck in.
Crazy easy and so, so, SO delicious.
Ingredients and add-ins?
- Olive Oil – Extra virgin
- Onion, Carrot, Garlic
- Fresh Rosemary, Red Pepper Flakes and Dried Thyme – fresh thyme works too, just add a little extra
- Flour – all purpose
- Vegetable Broth – I usually use Bouillon concentrate
- Milk – I use whole milk, but feel free to substitute a dairy-free milk
- Cannellini Beans – any other white bean will work
- Heavy Cream – can sub coconut cream
- Gnocchi – I always have shelf-stable potato gnocchi on hand. Like this.
- Parmesan Cheese
- More Veggies – if you want to up the veggies in this soup, feel free to add in some cauliflower or broccoli when you add in the broth. Or, stir in a big handful of spinach or kale when you add in the gnocchi.
Nope. No need. The gnocchi only needs a few minutes to cook and works perfectly if you add it straight into the soup.
Like any pasta or grain, the gnocchi will get softer as it sits in the soup, but I find it still pretty tasty the next day..
Let me know what you think!
Vegetarian Gnocchi Soup with White Beans and Rosemary
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 white onion diced
- 4 carrots diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 19 oz can cannellini beans drained
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb gnocchi
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Add the olive oil and butter to a soup pot over medium heat and once it’s heated add in the onion and carrot. Cook until the onion has softened.
- Add in the garlic, rosemary, thyme and red pepper flakes and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add in the flour and stir well. Cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, milk, beans and season with S&P.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and the gnocchi.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Top each serving with more parmesan, freshly cracked black pepper and more olive oil.
- Serve with crusty bread.
If you like this Vegetarian Gnocchi Soup Recipe please go try my Recipe Gnocchi with Creamy Truffle Mushroom Sauce. I know you’ll love it.