This Mushroom and Kale Salad is all I want to eat from now until Spring. And maybe even then I’ll just eat it cold.
It is that good. And yes, before you ask… yes you can sub in goat cheese or feta for the blue cheese. I know a lot of you ARE lovers of the blue cheese and my friends, you are living right. The rest of you may substitute as needed, but you must know that it is my mission in life to convert you.
Anyone else out there love a good winter salad? Sometimes you’re not into crispy greens and zippy vinaigrettes when it’s cold out, but if you’re like me you still want a great big bowl of veggies with tons of flavour and texture. This is it.
I love everything about this salad. It’s hearty, salty, packed with flavour and topped with crispy crunchy coarse bread crumbs. I would happily live on it.
Anything Special You Need to Know?
*I used Cremini mushrooms in this recipe because they’re my favourite. They’re just a little more tasty than regular white button mushrooms and I can easily find them at the store. You can use any type of mushroom though. If you need to geek out on mushroom info this is a good little article.
*You don’t have to massage your kale for salad but to me it’s definitely worth it. It gives it a softer, nicer texture that especially plays well with the mushrooms and crispy bread crumbs. Plus, all that olive oil is great for the hands. 😉
Warm Mushroom and Kale Salad with Blue Cheese and Crispy Torn Croutons
- 1 bunch kale
- 6 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- 7 oz cremini mushrooms
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbled
- Thinly slice the kale into ribbons and massage it with 2 Tbsp of the olive oil.
- Toss with the apple cider vinegar, a big pinch of salt and the parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a skillet. Tear 2 slices sourdough bread into small pieces and add in.
- Stir and cook the bread pieces until lightly brown and crisp then remove from the pan, season with salt and set aside.
- Heat another 2 Tbsp olive oil in the same skillet and toss in one small package mushrooms (I used small creminis, cut the larger ones in half and left the small ones whole).
- Cook until browned and turn down the heat.
- Add in the butter, soy sauce and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour over the kale.
- Top with the bread crumbs, the blue cheese and fresh cracked black pepper.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this Warm Kale and Mushroom Salad Recipe then you are my kind of people and I know you’ll absolutely love my Kale Beet Salad with Avocado and Crispy Blue Cheese Crumbs.