This Chana Masala for the Instant Pot is 30 minute comfort food that tastes like you slaved away all day but what you really did was drink coffee and watch reality TV until you realized you might actually have to feed the fam. Right? Don’t let it just be me.
The secret for this one? The Instant Pot. BUT! You can totally make this without one, you just have to simmer it a bit longer. So you might miss half a show. But it’s worth it. It’s very very yummy.
I’d like to say this is the perfect meatless meal but the truth is it’s pretty much a perfect meal, period. The advantage of using the Instant Pot is that the chickpeas get extra soft and tender… they melt in your mouth and make this the ultimate comfort food. Piled on top of a bowl of steamed rice and/or scooped up with naan (I vote for “and”), it’s just heaven. I eat it for dinner and then for just about every meal after that until it’s gone. Then I make another batch.
Anything Special You Need to Know?
*I served this with my favourite rice, quick naan and the mint-cilantro chutney you see in the photo below. It is one of my very favourite things and is super easy to make. You can find my recipe here.
*Fenugreek might be hard to come by. I find it at my favourite spice store. You can just omit it or sub in about a teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds.
Chana Masala – Instant Pot
- Instant Pot
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp ginger finely grated
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp fenugreek
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 14 oz 398 ml cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp butter plant based or regular
- Turn the Instant Pot on Saute and add in the coconut oil
- Add in the onion and cook until softened, 3-4 minutes
- Add in the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, garam masala, fenugreek, turmeric and cayenne. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Add in the vegetable broth and chickpeas.
- Place the lid on and turn on High Pressure mode. Set for 7 minutes.
- When complete, let natural release for 15 minutes and then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Stir in the butter, add more S&P to taste.
Let me know what you think!
If you like this Vegan Chana Masala Instant Pot Recipe, then you must try Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry with Cauliflower and Paneer. It’s another really great, easy, vegetarian meal.