Is it possible to bake springtime into a cookie? I think it might be!
These Lemon Blueberry Cookies are soft and chewy with lightly crisp edges and they are packed with fresh, juicy blueberries and bright lemon flavour. If I could put springtime in a cookie I think this would be it.
Self-Indulgent foodie Chatter…
My passion for blueberries right now is so strong I fear I may soon turn into a smurf or one of those people who turn blue from eating a bunch of silver.
It’s actually a bit weird because I don’t generally love straight blueberries… some are sweet, some are sour, some are mushy… it’s a game I don’t really enjoy. But add them into a baked good and I am all in. Especially when you add in a few white chocolate chips and fresh lemon flavour. And I do really, really enjoy a good cookie, especially when they’re like this… these cookies have crisp edges and are chewy, not cakey, and the blueberries burst with juicy blueberry goodness when you bite into them. They are so yum.
lemon blueberry cookies, the details…
As with most cookies I make, these are super easy. The cookie dough comes together quickly and requires no chilling time.
Start by creaming your melted butter and your sugars until they’re really light and fluffy. Add in an egg, a cold egg… no need to bring it to room temperature (explained by my cookie hero here)… some fresh lemon zest, vanilla extract and, if you have it, a little lemon extract. In a separate mixing bowl combine some flour, dry milk powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix it up well and then add it into the butter mixture. Add in some creamy white chocolate chips and fresh blueberries and fold gently (we don’t want to smush our berries!).
Scoop the dough onto your baking sheet (parchment lined or not) and bake for 9-11 minutes.
Ingredients, Substitutions, Tips, etc.
Blueberries – fresh blueberries are ideal in these cookies because they don’t bleed colour into the batter and they become incredibly juice when you bake them. If you only have access to frozen blueberries I would that and drain them very well before adding them in to the dough.
Lemon Extract – This is optional, but gives and extra hit of lemon flavour. Feel free to omit it and the cookies will still be delicious.
Looking for more delicious cookie recipes? Try these…
- Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies
- Matcha White Chocolate Cookies
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cookies with Macadamia Nuts
Let me know what you think!
Lemon Blueberry Cookies
- 1 cup melted butter cooled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon extract optional
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp milk powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- In an electric mixer combine the butter, sugar and brown sugar. Mix on medium speed for several minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add in the lemon zest, vanilla extract, lemon extract (if using) and the egg. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, milk powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Fold the blueberries and white chocolate chips into the flour mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Drop scoops of dough onto a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes.
If you like this Lemon Blueberry Cookie Recipe, please go try my Recipe for Blueberry White Chocolate Muffins. They’re almost like a breakfast version of these cookies… not that I’m opposed to cookies for breakfast. 😉